Print+ DIY Headphones

2017-Aug-14, Monday 01:41 pm
chebe: (Purple - DanceLikeNooneisWatching)
On 13 October 2015 I backed a crowd-funding campaign for DIY headphones. The plan being, they send you the electronic bits, and the fabric bits, and you 3D print the form (from designs they would provide). Seemed pretty sweet to me. And to many other people, because the next day it was successfully funded.

Around 9 May 2017 the electronics and squishy bits arrived. They were still tweaking the 3D design files, but it didn't matter much as I'd lost my access to 3D printers. They said they would be partnering up with 3D Hubs to help out people in my situation, so I scoped out some prices. They went from hundreds of euro, to thousands. I didn't order any. Shortly thereafter Print+ opened their own store selling printed parts for only €35. Much better! I ordered as soon as I could on 30 May. There was more of a delay, as I think they actually started doing the printing themselves. They sent me an apology, a discount code, and I got a shipment notice 26 July. They finally arrived last week, 10 August.

13 October 2015 to 10 August 2017. But, I now have some nifty headphones.

Assembly details )

The fit is tight to the head, which I actually appreciate as there is less loss of sound. They're incredibly light-weight, and definitely possess an unique look. They also sound damned good, especially for the price tag.



Print+ Headphones (design #1) in PolyMatte Grey and purple
Photo by chebegeek

NeoPixel Tiara

2015-Aug-25, Tuesday 08:08 pm
chebe: (BeautyQueen)
I love the Adafruit Learn site, particularly the wearables section, there are some really fun ideas in there. And when I saw the NeoPixel Tiara I knew I needed one. I had almost everything already, except the 3d-printed band.

To TOG! We downloaded the thingiverse file (tiaraHolesClose.stl), converted to gcode, and watched the LulzBot Taz print for 50 minutes. *cue montage music* It was a pretty good print, given how fine some of the detailing is, but our process needs tuning as there are artifacts, and the strands are coming apart as I touch them. Still, usable!

LulzBot Taz 3D Printer part way through printing the tiara

Robot minion making me a crown. Finally.
Photo by chebe



On to the assembly! Process details await )

Tiara on top of my head, looking nicely symmetrical, with centre NeoPixel lit up

Finally, my royal position secured
Photo by chebe



And, because the tutorial code has a nice sparkle effect to it, here's a short video.



I am going to wear this everywhere.

Lilypad Holders

2012-Aug-08, Wednesday 12:51 pm
chebe: (OnTheVergeOfSomethingWonderful)
Here's something I meant to talk about months ago. Lilypad microcontrollers are meant to be sewn into projects. Which can be time consuming, and seriously limits their resusability. (Also, I'd be much more willing to wash my e-garment if I could detach the microcontroller first.) So people have been coming up with shields/adapters to make their Lilypad projects more modular.

One that's pretty cool, and uses a 3-D printer, is the Lilypad Holder from mizliz via thingiverse. Namit very kindly printed me up a couple.



They fit the original microcontroller, the Simple Board (although it doesn't use all the holes), and even the XBee shield. The board is kept in place with a magnet glued into the little hole beneath where the board goes.

But, as I was filing out the holes I realised something; the metal snaps point up. Which means either the FTDI header is face down (making it hard to reach and program) or the other components are loose and not connected to the base material. That could be changed by altering the 3-D model to invert the outside ring though, probably.

But then I also realised the wires (wires!?) from the snaps are soldered directly onto the Lilypad pads themselves. Meaning any board you use with this holder is permanently committed. It's still a really cool idea, just doesn't match the way I work.

There are also a couple of nifty soft-circuit ones I came across that seem like great ideas, but a fair amount of work to create; like the Frogr shield, or a soft-holder also from mizliz, but fixing the direction the snaps point.

And, well, it seems that the powers that be were paying attention, because now there exists a Lilypad Microcontroller (Simple Board version) with built-in snaps! The SimpleSnap. It also has a battery attached, which means it must be removed from a project before washing, but that's a small trade-off. And to complement it there is a SimpleSnap Protoboard as well. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on these!
Page generated 2017-Aug-22, Tuesday 06:36 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios